[Webcom] New Drupal Account for Olaf Knopp

Arnulf Christl arnulf.christl at wheregroup.com
Wed Jan 31 08:41:14 EST 2007

Tyler Mitchell wrote:
> Sounds like we'll have a good discussion :)  I agree with your
> statements about process.
>
> I would like to see a more formal process via webcom list for adding new
> members so that we are all kept in the loop.
>
> To date I have added some users but only with 'translator' role and
> never admin unless on SAC/WebCom or specifically needing it for primary
> work (i.e. Kanhaiya re: migration and tool development, etc).
>
> Looking forward to our meeting.
>
> Tyler

Hi,
some quick notices on what I did so far and what is up for discussion from my point of view.

I have access to the user "admin" as posted by Tyler so that we can update "our" Drupal instance mapbender.osgeo.org. Wondering around on *.osgeo.org I ended up on the www.osgeo.oerg site without really noticing it - all with the same user admin with the same password. I reported this to Tyler because it is not a good idea to have several people using the same account and hack several sites.

Then I checked the roles (on www) and found that they have not been configured. During our testing of the site modules were added and every time I had to log in as user admin to add the new functionality to my user through the role "project manager" that I was attributed to.
* I added tinyMCE (WYSYWIG editor) and configured it with a few standard buttons., makes things easier, especially when working with images.
* I added book functionality to start books and tested it out with a Spanish installation manual (http://www.osgeo.org/node/219/). That is a lot of tedious work, I still wonder whether this is practical.

Switching accounts being tedious and the user admin being used by more than one individual I created the role "admin" and added FrankW, TylerM, mpg, Jason, "admin"(the user) and myself to it.

That way we tested translation and got going, except for menus.

I then added Olaf to help in translation and added him to the role "admin" because he is a much more versed Drupal user than I am. Always bear in mind that I created the role "admin" only because it was not there and because I enabled all and everything that could possibly be done with Drupal.

OK. Now to the hard parts. What is this CMS going to be? I don't think there is an easy straight forward answer to this and the more I ponder this the more I think we will need separate instances.

We need a CMS where people can create their own account, have their own blog, create their own pages, collaborate on books and generally feel at home. Community. This requires people to have a lot of editing power. Implying that our current CMS is supposed to host "stable" content this does not go together well. We would not want a malicious user hack our FAQ or mission goals and not even notice (the Wiki at least gives a content diff,in the CMS all history is simply lost). As far as I can see we cannot protect pages as we can in the Wiki, so we are lost.

Who is going to be the editing crew for stable stuff? What about changes to our stable stuff? We are an organism, not a concrete wall. The less organs you leave in the isms the less you get done.

Just some thoughts for tonight (your morning).

Regards, Arnulf.