[Webcom] Layout update

Tyler Mitchell tylermitchell at shaw.ca
Thu Mar 1 16:54:49 EST 2007

On 1-Mar-07, at 1:04 PM, Jason Birch wrote:

> Tyler, is there any way that we could refresh the test database
> with the
> current structure of live without walking over top of anything
> currently
> being worked on (or letting anyone working in test know to back up
> their
> work and then be prepared to reapply it)?

That's really out of my league, I don't know how you'd do this other
than a complete overwrite at a opportune time.

> I would really like the test server to be a place for setting up new
> features, which are then applied to live, rather than being a sandbox.
> We should set up a different instance (even on test) as
> devel.osgeo.org
> to act as a sandbox.

I totally agree on this.  Unfortunately I think we need a separate
complete drupal and mysql db instance so that we can really do major
changes, i.e in styling, file layouts, etc. without affecting every
other host using the underlying instance.  The MapGuide project also
has this need, so that they can test various changes on the site
layout without using their backup instance.

Hope those sentences make sense :)  Basically I think we need at
least one dev instance that uses a completely new Drupal file tree
and an additional mysql database.