[Webcom] community spotlights and the front page

Lorenzo Becchi lorenzo at ominiverdi.com
Thu Nov 29 18:09:27 EST 2007

Wolf Bergenheim wrote:
> It appears as if the Drupal Localization module can't (yet) handle fall
> back to xx language in case node hasn't been translated :( What do you
> think, should we disable localization of the community spotlights all
> together? This would mean that the spotlights would show up in all
> languages but they would not be translatable.

community is growing continuously, I still don't know when there will be
enough translators to translate all updated contents.
actually many static contents has never been translated in most
languages (see  Italian version :-P )

> We could fake the fallback by making a translation in English (ye a
> copy), and assign that to each language, until proper translation.
> However if we start (as Frank wishes) to make 1-2 spotlights once per
> month I think that the translators would be hard pushed to keep up.
>
> I propose that we turn off localization of community spotlights.

this make sense to me as far as we have a chance, soon or later, to
upgrade the module (content type?!?) and it will become possible to edit
the localization for a single node.
I prefer to see half of the post translated that none of them.
the latter is cleaner, the former invite new persons to apply as
translator (hopefully). If there's one visitor each thousand that apply
as translator we'll have soon a great crew.

> Furthermore I have made the top and bottom parts of the front page into
> views as well which means that they should be translated as soon as
> possible. Who is in contact with translators to make it happen? I think
> that they should be translated before we "go live" with the test site.

the way to contact translators is actually this mailing list.
if the number of translators start growing it would be desirable to
create a list for translation where every change of text in the English
version is commented to let everybody know.

ciao
Lorenzo

ps: hope this message make sense, it's late once again