[Webcom] PHP 5 and Drupal 4.7.x

Jorge Gaspar Sanz Salinas jsanz at geomaticblog.net
Thu Oct 25 16:42:27 EDT 2007

2007/10/25, Wolf Bergenheim <wolf+grass at bergenheim.net>:
> Hi,
>
> When php was upgraded to 5.2 on the osgeo2 machine (test.osgeo.org) it
> broke the session management for drupal 4.7 (which doesn't officially
> support php 5). I managed to fix it by adding the following line to the
> end of sites/osgeo.org/settings.php
>
> register_shutdown_function('session_write_close');
>
> Most probably the other sites need this as well, but I don't know if
> they are in use or not... that is why I didn't touch them.
>
> --Wolf

Hi

I'm not a PHP programmer and when my hosting provider for my weblog[1]
changed (whitout any advise at all) to PHP5 my drupal 4.6 broke and I
wasn't able to log into the website.

I wasn't able to hack the site to upgrade the drupal installation and
I had to make a new 5.0 installation. It was a really pain but, well,
it's a simple weblog and having one week offline the site to put
everything working again wasn't so important.

Finally I disabled some modules updating directly the mySQL tables and
now I have a renovated weblog and I'm aware of Drupal updates to avoid
that hell.

Of course, osgeo.org is in better hands :P

BR
[1]http://www.geomaticblog.net
--
Jorge Gaspar Sanz Salinas