[Webcom] Community web site and tools

Jacolin Yves yjacolin at free.fr
Tue Apr 29 08:28:22 EDT 2008

Le Friday 25 April 2008 18:56:22 Tyler Mitchell (OSGeo), vous avez écrit :
> Hi all,
> One thing I've dreamed of for awhile has been a community-focused web
> site, not just for some idealistic purpose but also for some very
> real, practical tools that I think we could use.  Rather than our
> primary osgeo.org site which is more outward facing, I think there
> could be a good role for an inward one that helps out in a few ways.
>
> Here are a few areas I'm thinking:
>
> 1 - Membership sign-up - it's a FAQ and annual outstanding item.
> Personally needed so I have membership metrics that I can share
> during presentations.
> 2 - Voting and polling - formal elections and informal questions from
> the community.  Formally to help alleviate the strain of managing
> annual election, nomination, verification, etc. processes
> 3 - Project/Committee sign-up tools
> 4 - Community blogging system
> 5 - Small donation collections and project funding drives
> 6 - way more... ?
>
> Ideas 3-6 are just off the top of my head, whereas 1&2 are real
> things I've tried to make some progress on but can't seem to wrap up
> well.  In my feeble attempts I've got CivicRM (civicrm.org) running
> (osgeo2) and I use it to track our charter membership lists, board
> member list, donor list and financial donations.
>
> I put this past the WebCom to see if there is general interest.  If
> so, I'd like to try to find a couple people interested in helping
> develop the tools and site further - first focusing on #1 and #2.
>
> What do you think?
> Tyler

Tyler,

I was quite busy these days, but I think this is really an interesting things.
This tool will defintievely help the Francophone local chapter. As you may
know, in june, we will organize the OSGeo-fr Board election and I have no
idea how to manage this.

I am really interesting as well for metric membership, mailing list messages,
etc. Well I won't comment all your suggestion, as all is interesting for
me :).

I don't know how I can help, as I don't know if I had any time to spend on
this, but I will see how I can help you.

Best regards,

Y.
--
Yves Jacolin