[Webcom] RE: [Marketing] Feedback from Marketing Meeting

Tyler Mitchell (OSGeo) tmitchell at osgeo.org
Thu Dec 11 14:57:58 EST 2008

On 11-Dec-08, at 11:19 AM, Jason Birch wrote:

> I would personally prefer to see WebCom rolled into Marketing.  I've
> brought this up before though, with little feedback or agreement.  I
> know that I would feel happier helping out on website tasks as part
> of a
> strong marketing committee, than struggling to lead a weak website
> committee.

I feel your pain Jason and totally understand.  I thought we'd bite
of a bit more this year and at least get marketing worrying about the
web site a bit more.  It's a bit of a struggle to see how our
marketing group could really handle all the combined tasks, as I
don't feel we are really strong yet, though I don't mean we haven't
been productive :)  But I assume you'd like to see the web committee
members merge into marketing.  In that case I'd be glad to see the
size of the workforce increase - I think it would lead to some
interesting and more empowered perspectives.

I think on the technical sides it would mean referring some issues to
SAC instead of WebCom- but in half the cases it might be the same
volunteer members who do the work anyway.  I think in the past we've
looked at the 'tasks' of each committee and both chairs went "ack!
we can only handle one thing at a time - how can we merge".  But as
we move forward, I'm optimistic we could handle it.

In the end, I'm all in favour for fewer committees so that there are
less barriers to making decisions and feeling ownership for projects.

Hope that makes some sense,