[Webcom] New OSGeo Wiki Startpage proposal

Jason Birch Jason.Birch at nanaimo.ca
Mon Jun 23 13:28:39 EDT 2008

I really like what you have done on that page, and support an enhanced
entry page.  However, I have strong feelings against allowing use of raw
HTML in the Wiki for all users, purely from a security and reputation
perspective.  To be clear, I am not worried about spam, but other kinds
of content.

Enabling raw HTML means that baddies get easy access to CSS attacks, and
can use our trusted domain to launch other kinds of attacks on our
users.  This kind of activity, if not caught immediately, can also cause
our listings in Google to be flagged with messages informing the user
that the site may contain content harmful to their computer.  In my
opinion, allowing this kind of content to remain on the site for even
the amount of time it takes for someone to notice the change and revert
it is not acceptable.  If there was some additional step involved
(adding html-enabled users to a superuser group or something) I'd be OK
with it, or if you could only enable specific tags (divs), but as it
stands the potential for mischief is just too high.

Jason