[Webcom] Foundation / Community / Projects Boxes

Frank Warmerdam warmerdam at pobox.com
Mon May 5 12:01:50 EDT 2008

Folks,

I feel that the "major boxes" around our web site are evolving
somewhat haphazardly.

I would like to suggest:

1) removing the "OSGeo Download Server" link because it links to only
    a subset of project downloads, and I think project downloads are best
    found from the project page.  If we keep it, at least rename it to
    "Downloads" so it doesn't force a multi-line entry.

2) I don't think that "Logos" is important enough to appear on the
    "OSGeo Foundation" list.

3) I think we should have info on RSS News feeds in the first paragraph
    at http://www.osgeo.org/news_items instead of the link in the
    OSGeo Community block.  Potentially a link to the news_item page
    should appear in the Community block though we already have the "more"
    link on the main page.

4) I think we need links to a few of the key committees with some outward
    focus in the Foundation block, notably "Marketting" and "Incubation".
    Currently these can only be found by drilling down through "About
    the Foundation", and then to "Committees".  I might also be inclined
    to move the public geodata committee there from the projects box.

5) I'm not really keen on marking projects in incubation on the main page.
    At the very least, if we do this, we should make "in incubation" a
    link to the incubation committee page so folks have a clue what this means.
    But to me it is clutter.

I would be happy to make any/all of the above changes, but I don't want to
do it without some consensus or we are likely to keep changing and rechanging.
I would like to gentle encourage our chair to hold an IRC meeting to discuss
these, and perhaps other issues that folks would like to raise.