[Webcom] postgresql installation

Frank Warmerdam warmerdam at pobox.com
Thu Oct 9 15:57:46 EDT 2008

Christian Willmes wrote:
> Hello,
>
> I'm trying to build postgres from source on my test redhat7.2 VM in the
> moment (for the Mediawiki UserMap stuff).
> I'm doing it according to this [1] HowTo. With the actual version 8.3.4.
> And I ran to this [2] very same problem.
> I figured that this is a very specific problem of this redhat version. I
> could proceed with the installation according to the answer of the
> mentioned problem thread, by hacking the makefile. But the version I'm
> using for the test installation is not the version of rhel, which is
> running on the server.
>
> My question: can somebody provide me a download of the rhel version
> which is runnig on the server?
> Or shall I do the installation directly on the server, with fixing
> upcoming problems on the fly?

Christian,

I would suggest just doing the installation on the server.  If you install
things in /usr/local there should be little risk of screwing anything else
up since there isn't currently any postgres installed on the server.

Once you start fiddling with mediawiki you will need to be more careful of
course since the live wiki is our organizational lifeblood!

I'll request SAC permission to create you an account.