[Webcom] Re: [Marketing] Re: Marketing Digest, Vol 16, Issue 10

Tyler Mitchell (OSGeo) tmitchell at osgeo.org
Fri Jan 16 12:38:30 EST 2009

Daniele wrote:
> We have started working on the website redesign.

I think she meant to include a link to the brainstorming page to
collect thoughts:
http://wiki.osgeo.org/wiki/Web_site_design

Webcom should have been cc'd :)

Jason Birch wrote:
> I'm still somewhat (a lot) confused about how Marketing's budget
> includes something that is in WebCom's mandate, but that ship has
> sailed :)

Let's take a small step back for a second.  This is just another
example of the perpetual overlap in the two committee's
responsibilities, but I still think we can make it work.  From a
branding and marketing angle the website is a very important public
face, obviously part of Marketing's mandate.  So that's the angle
Marketing is coming at it from.  I guess if it's a problem then
Marketing can start http://spreadOSGeo.org ;-)  (joking!)

Last month, I (as Marketing chair) was overwhelmed by interest within
the marketing committee for putting a significant part of its budget
towards website-related branding and design.  We'll be spending
effort on producing well branded print material, it's only natural to
try to keep the website in line with that as well as improving
usability were possible.  There was also significant buzz on the
lists about the topic (thinking of Chris and Jody here).  Of course
Marketing doesn't operate in a vacuum so I fully expected this to be
a cooperative effort between Webcom and Marketing.

At the last Marketing meeting we looked for volunteers to help lead
each major project identified in our budget.  Daniele offered to
oversee the website project and she has good marketing training and
experience we can tap into - she is not going to be doing this alone
but will be Marketing's point person on it.  Please join in the
effort to offer up your ideas, thoughts comments and, obviously,
concerns.

Christopher wrote:
> I'm concerned that this is being done without interaction with
> WebCom --
> or if this interaction is happening, I'm not aware of it.

There has barely been discussion about it on the Marketing committee
side either, we are all still just starting at the brainstorming
stage.  So don't worry, you haven't missed anything!  Note that both
Wolf and I are interested in supporting from a technical Webcom
angle, plus we have enough budget to be able to hire some expertise
when/if needed.  But we're a ways away from doing anything at this
point!  Let's get our ideas out in the open...

Hope the helps,