[Webcom] [OSGeo-Discuss] WebCom discussions

Frank Warmerdam warmerdam at pobox.com
Thu Sep 26 14:10:22 PDT 2013

On Thu, Sep 26, 2013 at 2:04 PM, Alex Mandel <tech_dev at wildintellect.com>wrote:

> On 09/26/2013 05:26 AM, Ian Edwards wrote:
> > To make more concrete progress on the larger issues facing WebCom I'd
> like
> > to start some closed discussions.
> >
> > If you have experience with the admin of any of the OSGeo infrastructure
> > then please join us.  We'll report back progress on the open WebCom
> mailing
> > list. Sensitive information about the systems will be thoroughly
> documented
> > and tested and will become a closed resource for the team moving
> forwards.
> >
> > Please reply off list and I'll add you to the discussion.
> >
> > Ian
> >

> Webcom to my knowledge has been inactive for several years, are you the
> new Chair? The infrastructure you refer to has all been handled by
> members of the System Administration committee. Everything except
> security information (passwords) is publicly on the OSGeo Wiki if
> someone has taken the time to write it up.

Alex,

Webcom still notionally exists even if it is somewhat moribund.

Ian has agreed to assist with the migration of Drupal, aspects of which
touch on SAC.

I don't think it would be all that helpful for Ian to struggle with whether
there ought to be a webcom, or if it is a SAC issue or a marketting
committee issue.

It is hopefully just about migrating Drupal and possibly doing some updates
to the web site - particularly as needed to make things work with a newer
drupal.

That said, I'm non-plussed by this idea of "closed" discussions and use of
some thing called basecamp.  Ian - why are closed discussions valuable
other than the need to be protective of a few passwords?

Best regards,
Frank