content creation restart

Jody Garnett jgarnett at refractions.net
Mon Oct 2 14:22:59 EDT 2006

Hi Everyone,

I have been quiet for a couple months but thought I should check back to
see how
things are going (and if now is a useful time for more involvement).

Under current work I see several headings under develop content:
- Why Open Source GeoSpatial, How can I help, Who is OSGeo, What is OSGeo.

I think we have the wrong approach here, witness the recent email from
Mr Lee McKusick asking for an Overview page (none of his questions
aligned with the content listed in the wiki).

I would like us to consider the "prototype" users defined earlier (are
we happy with them?) and use this to prioritize content generation. Hint
how can I help is a page that benefits *us*, in terms of priorities we
have a lot of work to do before we consider ourselves as a web site user.

On a related note, something that can benifit me is defining a "style"
for OSGeo, we now have a logo (and colour swatches? fonts?). Is there
anything else that should be considered part of the OSGeo "website" brand?

Some suggestions:
- consistent logo location
- consistent link "returning" web users to the OSGeo website

I see working on style is delayed while for tech infrastructure, can we
try and do things the other way around? Define our style elements from a
branding perspective - it may teach us something of use when looking at
tech infrastructure.

Cheers,
Jody