[Web Comm] Website map ...

Jody Garnett jgarnett at refractions.net
Tue Oct 17 14:51:57 EDT 2006

Auke Jilderda wrote:
> Good gracious, I, for one, needed a dictionary for this e-mail. ;-)
> Educational.
>
> Anyway, I think it would be wise to keep in mind that CN is an
> infrastructure for software development.  It is not designed to do
> everything conceivable to man and never claims it can.  Instead of
> trying to fit everything onto CN, I would suggest to use CN for what it
> is designed to do and complement it with other solutions to address your
> needs and likes in the most cost efficient way.

Indeed Auke, part of leaping into a foundation based on already running
projects is that the software
development side is fairly covered already (and porting to CN an
overhead). What we are describing
here is more on the order of a content management site focused on our
"customers".
> It sounds like there need to be a number of different entry points to
> the community:
> - marketing: Aims to attract new users and get them up to speed as soon
>   as possible.  It should highlight the products, comparing and
>   interrelating them. (E.g. mozilla.com does for mozilla.)

A nice approach, we may need to break it down according to kind of users
(since we have a couple
categories already and the language we need to speak to them with differs.
> - community: Aims to bring users and developers in contact with each
>   other, leveraging know how and expertise where possible.

This is an interesting cross, I had not thought of separating it as a
seperate concern (prefering to think
of community being one and the same as development (but you are
correct), or one and the same as the
"marketting" content - not sure if the two need to be distinct for an
open source foundation?

Ah but perhaps you are thinking of the "regional" groups, and
"foundation committees" ... I could see that.
> - development: Facilitates development.  Should provide version control,
>   tracking, lists, builds, and so on.  (E.g.
>   http://www.mozilla.org/developer/.)  This is what CN is designed to do
>   and can do for you.

Indeed.
> All three need a front page aimed at the target users.  The Marketing
> site will likely be a straightforward web site, the Community more a
> wiki style solution, and the Developer site contains most day-to-day
> activity.

Do you have any recommendations for managing a "straightforward web
site"? I suppose we could
look into what eclipse.org uses ...

Jody