[WebCom] Web Site Translations

Jo Walsh jo at frot.org
Fri Jan 5 19:59:34 EST 2007

dear Tyler,
On Sat, Jan 06, 2007 at 12:28:40AM +0000, Tyler Mitchell wrote:
> What are asking for, aside from more updates?

This is a bit chicken/egg, because a trac would help so much for
people to make their requests there, instead of on list threads which
too rapidly disappear and aren't queryable. I've counted recently:

- Arnulf wants to fix the mapbender pages
- Edu has some broken links, and wants to do a big reworking
- I want to fix the geodata pages (really i would like a dedicated
  drupal instance, but i've run out of spare time this month already)
- FrankW and i want proper News nodes, rather than one HTML page
- I want events to be structured data rather than one HTML page
- I forget who, requested a blog module so you could blog in osgeo.org
  space and generate semantic energy there.

> Should we start creating accounts  and who for - all webcom and SAC?
> Or should all project/committee leads or members also have accounts?
> This is all I'm asking for re: having some policies in place.  I
> just thought WebCom/SAC might want to give it some thought so we
> create accounts once and be done with it.

I would say, why do this on an abstraction basis? We are all friends.
I've suggested that all PSC chairs should be able to create news nodes
and edit their own pages. 'WebCom' is comprised of a whole gang of
lurkers, really ;P I would do this on a per-request, per-contact basis.
It makes sense to define broad levels of capabilities - clearly
someone who only wants and needs to write new items shouldn't be able
to touch user account configuration. What you already had, was close.

Hi, lurkers! http://wwmm.ch.cam.ac.uk/blogs/murrayrust/?p=78

> I'm just going down our list and see that LDAP and Trac are yet to
> be done and that the plan was to use LDAP for auth.

Remind me where our list is?

I would not want to presume on hobu's time *at all* but i think he
would be willing to be a second pair of eyes and cognitive processes
on LDAP setup if that's wanted. Personally, i'd love to see a
timescale for how long it will take to get LDAP/Drupal 'right' (with
writeback, could get complex), prioritise trac, and create regular
drupal accounts for the couple people chafing at the bit to fix their
pages right now, if it's going to be longer than a couple of days.

>- I hope my
> outlook hasn't looked like I'm trying to ignore people or make
> something else higher priority.

np, I understand that there have been a lot of logistics to get
through, and that it was better to have something dirt simple,
that 'looked right' and didn't take any communications away, than to
try and get too many components right upfront and risk the big picture
not falling into place. And working and talking aren't always, sadly,
compatible activities.

> You've got my attention - what should be done?

Well, it sounds like you are on a good trac *cough*. I'm asking for
more public issue communication just because it reassures me if these
things are as redundant and shareable as possible, as soon as they
leave minds as possible. I don't want to be asked or told what to do,
i want to work it out conversationally. Perhaps i'm just lazy ;)

cheers,

jo