[webmap-discuss] Re: Mapbuilder is ready for OSGeo Graduation - and project merging

Steve Lime Steve.Lime at dnr.state.mn.us
Sat Jul 8 01:41:34 EDT 2006

I think it will be helpful for users (new and old) to clearly understand where any particular project sits in the OS stack and especially in relationship to projects with (at least outwordly) similar scope. Perhaps via diagrams, roadmaps and such. That would be an excellent starting point for integration even if it were never to happen at the code level.

Steve

>>> cameron.shorter at gmail.com 07/07/06 4:41 PM >>>
Steve Lime wrote:
<snip>

> One question in my mind is what all the talk of project merging (OpenLayers, ka-map,
> MapBuilder and so on) really means. Is there a chance that in the near future there
> really will be a single project comprised of the best of all of the participating client
> environments, and if so then how should that be taken into account as part of
> incubation. Do we graduate a project that may substantial change near term? If
> projects do merge and one is "officially OSGeo" is the merged project now official?
>
> I know you've started those discussions but it's not clear where they sit.

Steve,
Mapbuilder are likely to start using OpenLayers as a rendering engine,
which will effectively mean Mapbuilder would be using OpenLayers as a
library.  So technically, we would be able to be an OSGeo member without
bringing OpenLayers in as an OSGeo member.

Mapbuilder would add value primarilly by providing a
Model/View/Controller design pattern which allows numerous types of
widgets to render one, or many XML documents.

I'd imagine it will be at least 6 months before there is a Mapbuilder
release which uses OpenLayers.

While I'm very keen to see all the webmapping developers working on the
same project, in practice I suspect it will take a year or two for the
projects to grow into the same product.

The OpenLayers folks have made noises about applying for OSGeo
membership - but I'll let them talk to that point.

Mapbuilder is not currently planning to merge with kamap directly, but
are likely to be connected by an OpenLayer/kamap merge.

--
Cameron Shorter
http://cameron.shorter.net