[webmap-discuss] vector layer - GML parsing and rendering - first test

Cameron Shorter cameron.shorter at gmail.com
Thu Nov 9 22:39:36 EST 2006

Looks good.

We have a GML parser in Mapbuilder which you might want to refer to. It
extracts coordinates out of GML2 and GML3.

In Mapbuilder we rely quite heavilly on using XPATH for extracting nodes
out of XML.

For example, we use lines like:

this.gmlType=featureNodes[0].selectSingleNode(".//gml:Point|.//gml:LineString|.//gml:Polygon|.//gml:LinearRing|.//gml:Box|.//gml:Envelope");

We use http://sarissa.sf.net to provide cross browser XPATH functionality.
At the moment, OpenLayers doesn't provide XPATH support. I'll send an
email to openlayers suggesting it.

Pierre GIRAUD wrote:
> Sorry, was thinking Firefox (not Safari) !
>
> On 11/9/06, Steven M. Ottens <steven.ottens at geodan.nl> wrote:
>
>> Looks good, it works in firefox as well, strangely not in flock a
>> mozilla based browser which I use besides my heavily pimped firefox. It
>> takes a few seconds to load/parse the gml (about 10 rough count) and
>> after that it's fast
>>
>> Steven
>>
>> Pierre GIRAUD wrote:
>> > At the url below you will find a first quick and dirty test for a GML
>> > parser (WFS file).
>> > It loads a xml file (that simulates a WFS response) and renders the
>> > features geometries on the map.
>> > May only work on safari for the moment.
>> >
>> > Note that the datastore (us intersate) comprise 13379 vertices.
>> >
>> > http://dev.openlayers.org/sandbox/bertil/examples/wfs_features.html
>> >

>> --
>> Geodan S&R Amsterdam
>>
>> -------------------------------------