[webmap-discuss] AJAX vector rendering "gathering"

Bart van den Eijnden (OSGIS) bartvde at osgis.nl
Tue Oct 31 02:10:21 EST 2006

Hi Steve,

I can post a small summary.

There was a discussion about using the DOJO Vector library, but generally
OpenLayers is against introducing new dependencies (where they have just
been removing others like Prototype). So it did not seem like the most
appropriate option.

Paul Spencer has been writing some code in OpenLayers for DMSG's MapGuide
Fusion project, and this will be available roughly somewhere in the next
month(s). It is based on Canvas and uses Google's IECanvas library. Paul and
Christopher Schmidt claim this can do all they want to do for editing, even
things like snapping should be possible. Cameron had some reservations when
it comes to finding features on a map (performance e.g.), and attaching
events to features. The server-side part of the Fusion project will likely
not be open-sourced, but the vector part for OpenLayers will be. There will
be a need for a redesign of the stuff after Cameron and Paul finish their
general design.

Cameron is working on SVG rendering in Mapbuilder for his OWS-4 project, and
plans to integrate this into OpenLayers in the near future (maybe even next
couple of weeks). The two options (Canvas and SVG) are probably
complimentary.

Please correct me if I noted something incorrectly :-)

The IRC session was logged, but I don't have the URL unfortunately.

Best regards,
Bart

--
Bart van den Eijnden