WMS Requests: Rounding BBOX

Christopher Schmidt crschmidt at metacarta.com
Wed Sep 20 16:23:07 EDT 2006

Today, an OpenLayers user asked me why we weren't rounding BBOX values
in our tiled image requests, since it was causing problems with his
reverse proxy caching to have OpenLayers not do so. The primary reason
this isn't done at the moment is that I couldn't pick a good value to
use :)

6 decimal places seems to be a generally good value to cut-off at when
working in degrees: that gets you down to half-meter accuracy (I
think?). Does anyone have any other thoughts on this? How have you
addressed rounding BBOX requests in your own applications?

--
Christopher Schmidt
MetaCarta