Strategic Direction

Paul Spencer pspencer at dmsolutions.ca
Thu Sep 21 18:14:32 EDT 2006

Managed Templates are web pages in which the layout is managed by the
toolkit ... MapBender and MapGuide both fall into this camp ... you
don't edit an HTML file, you configure the application through a web
interface (MapBender) or some other GUI (MapGuide).

Unmanaged templates require the app developer to actually edit/modify
the HTML page (both MapBuilder and Chameleon are in this camp).

I'll see about a page on osgeo for this ... good idea ...

Cheers

Paul

On 21-Sep-06, at 5:02 PM, Cameron Shorter wrote:

> [...]
>> Maps can be client side (direct from OGC services) or server side
>> (rendered by MapServer/MapGuide)
>> The divisions are not precise, obviously!  Here is my horrible
>> attempt at ASCII art ...
>>           managed      |      unmanaged
>>         mapbender      |   mapbuilder
>> client                 |   OpenLayers (2)
>>                   -----------
>> -----------------| WebMap.js |------------
>>                   -----------
>>                        |  chameleon
>> server  mapguide       |  ka-map (1)
>> (1) ka-Map is actually a client side app and can do client-side
>> direct from WMS but its not the primary mechanism and the default
>> install requires a server side component.
>> (2) OpenLayers can do server-side from ka-Map, but its not the
>> primary mechanism
>> Not sure where cartoweb fits in the picture, I don't know much
>> about  it.  And I probably missed some ... not sure which.
>> In my view of the world, then, the AJAX BOF was discussing
>> something  that could easily fit into the center of this
>> diagram ... this is the  proposed WebMap.js.
>> So we end up with each project owning and promoting a particular
>> space in my view of the AJAX web mapping world.  I think there
>> are  benefits and drawbacks to each space and its excellent to be
>> able to  chose a different solution for any given client based on
>> what they  really need.
>> Cheers
>> Paul

>>> Well, I hope we're not cutting into each other's user bases, so much
>>> as serving somewhat different use cases in the same general sphere.
>>>
>>> At the FOSS4G conference in Lausanne last week, we had a web mapping
>>> client BoF session, in which it was agreed that the OpenLayers team
>>> should try to split off a basic core for fetching map images/
>>> tiles and
>>> displaying them in an HTML div.
>>>
>>> Our hope is that our fellow AJAX mapping projects will be able to
>>> incorporate this map display library in their code, providing us all
>>> with a common stable base on which to build better web mapping apps.
>>> Provisionally, we've been calling this code "Webmap.js" (or
>>> something
>>> similar).
>>>
>>> In the meantime, we would appreciate any kind of direction that
>>> Mapbuilder and the other AJAX mapping projects have to offer about
>>> what the shape of this shared map display core should look like. Our
>>> plan is to have a rough cut of the library available in the next
>>> couple weeks.
>>>
>>> I think this is a very exciting opportunity for all of us to
>>> collaborate, and I hope that we can make it work for everyone!
>>>
>>> SDE

>>> -- ---
>>> Take Surveys. Earn Cash. Influence the Future of IT
>>> Join SourceForge.net's Techsay panel and you'll get the chance
>>> to  share your
>>> opinions on IT & business topics through brief surveys -- and
>>> page=join.php&p=sourceforge&CID=DEVDEV