[webmap-discuss] Re: Strategic Direction

Claude Philipona claude.philipona at camptocamp.com
Fri Sep 22 15:59:06 EDT 2006

I added CartoWeb to the matrix on the Wiki. We are indeed very
interested to be active in this cross project, even though we could not
get involved as much as we wanted too considering the time we put in
foss4g2006 organization.

A few month ago we made a comparison analysis of some js library used
for Webmapping, mainly on a poitn aof view for advanced editing. We will
translate the matrix to english and post it to the group. It might help
future thinking.

we will try very soon to integrate OpenLayers into CartoWeb to see how
far we can go and major problems. On of the particularity of CartoWeb is
that it offers extensible server-side treatments for advanced features,
which would not be possible with pure OGS services.

One of our concern is that the future unified js API's offers robust
extensible OO API not only for basic functions (zoom, pan,..) but also
for advanced features such as polygon editing with snappping, and that
it can be extended to interact with advanced server-side treatment.

So we are of course interested in contributing to specification of this
unified project.

Claude