[Webmap-discuss] static map with KML/GML overlay on WMS

Jeff McKenna jmckenna at gatewaygeomatics.com
Thu Jan 8 14:50:16 EST 2009

Mathias Tobler wrote:
> For a botanical collection management system (atrium.andesamazon.org) I
> am looking for a quick sollution to overlay a KML or GML layer on a WMS
> background to create a static map image. The idea would be to write a
> PHP script that takes a URL for a WMS and a URL for a KML file
> (dynamically created to macht the data requested by the user), overlays
> the KML on the WMS layer and returns the resulting map as a JPG/PNG
> file. I am aware of OpenLayer and other sollutions that can creat
> dynamic maps from different sources but I specifically need a static map
> that can be printed in a report. This is similar to Google Static Maps
> only that it would show a WMS layer with a KML overlay.
>
> I am not sure if what I have in mind is easily doeable or if I will need
> to decide on a specific WMS software and program a sollution on top of
> that (such as Mapserver with MapScript). Any suggestions are wellcome.
>
> Mathias

I can tell you that MapServer can display the WMS layer for you and it
can display/access a local KML file (through the OGR library).  For the
dynamic stuff you would have to use your favorite MapScript flavor.  You
  might also want to create your own 'export widget' in your preferred
add-on application (OpenLayers, MapFish, Fusion, etc).  (but i guess you
already know all of this and are looking for a better answer)

-jeff

--
Jeff McKenna
FOSS4G Consulting and Training Services