[Zoo-discuss] Project funding

nicolas bozon nicolas.bozon at gmail.com
Thu Aug 20 03:04:07 PDT 2009

Hi Jeff, Hi all

I totally agree with you that the ZOO project must provide some money to us

We already spend many time with Gerald and Venka on creating the ZOO concept
and developing the kernel (Gerald mainly coded the kernel) on our spare
time. Basics services will have to be developed by us and others, if the ZOO
tends to become community driven.

I'm in Japan now (on my univ funds + personal funds) to work on the
implementation of my phD model on-line using the ZOO WPS capabilities. We
are working on it with Gerald and Venka to create a specific ZOO service. As
gerald is coding,  my work mainly deals with creating the user interface but
also to work on design and communication for the whole Project.

Our plan is to present a stable kernel with basics services (mainly GDAL/OGR
and PG) at FOSS4G this year. If people get interested in, we think that we
can find developers for other services implementation (GRASS, Routing,
GPS...).

Then, if the ZOO goes on well, we will be able to sell it to our french
clients and others, to get funds
We also began with Gerald to ask for public fundings in our Region which is
really interested in cloud computing projects. We are still waiting for an
answer or meeting...

The main idea is to achieve our first goal, to make the project grow and
then to begin selling it
We also thought already of an on-line WPS webGIS that users must pay for an
account to use advanced services

Let us know what are you thinking about our vision !
Do you think about any other option to find some fundings to going on ?

Best regards

Nick