[Zoo-discuss] About FOSS4G 2009 and ZOO Project

Markus Neteler markus.neteler at iasma.it
Fri Oct 30 02:39:25 PDT 2009

Hi Venka,

On Fri, Oct 30, 2009 at 09:24, Venkatesh Raghavan
<raghavan at media.osaka-cu.ac.jp> wrote:
> Hi Markus,
>
> Venkatesh Raghavan wrote:
>> Markus Neteler wrote:
>>> Multi-language will stimulate quick adoption of
>>> a project. Again, if we could help to bring WPS
>>> closer into the core of GRASS, I am all for it.
>
> I was looking at GRASS the other way around,
> GRASS could be the core geoprocessing service
> provider for the ZOO kernel.

Yes, sure!
I just thought about a way to facilitate the connection
in order to avoid "system()" calls and the like this aren't
very stable. A kind of wrapper will be needed and
a detailed analysis of how PyWPS is doing things is
important. Also 52N has a GRASS-WPS interface,
and Soeren is discussing this with one of the authors.

> Presently GDAL/OGR
> provide data access service and in future GRASS,
> R, Sextante, Open Office and ORFEO Tool Box could
> provide spatial and non-spatial (Open Office)
> services for the ZOO Kernel.

Yes, great. BTW: Sexante is now able to run GRASS (to
be published soon). So you can have GRASS in gvSIG via Sextante.

> Wonder if I am thinking in the right direction or
> looking at at mirror and believing that the reality is
> the image.

Myself, I first have to learn more about all this :)

Markus