[Zoo-discuss] GDAL/OGR C/C++ utilities available as library functions

Fenoy Gerald gerald.fenoy at geolabs.fr
Thu Oct 15 02:21:45 PDT 2015

Hello Even,
thanks a lot for this information which is indeed of big interest for the ZOO-Project community.

It is a big asset for us as it makes us able to follow the new releases of GDAL by taking advantages of this API. In the past, despite we can take advantages of new features, we sometime have to edit the source code to just make it continuing working.

I should say that what I liked a lot when integrating the OTB and SAGA-GIS as a support was that there were providing some kind fo catalog of the available applications providing also the expected inputs and outputs for each of them. Note that they are more targeting producing applications than GDAL is probably but this was also of great help to automate the generation of ZCFG files (metadata files lined to service defining the inputs and outputs). Nevertheless, if we only need to write the ZCFG by hand and no code anymore for GDAL web services it is already appreciated a lot.

It will be a great jump to move to this new GDAL version. Nevertheless, I suppose that we should wait for OTB and SAGA-GIS to also support this new GDAL version in other case we may break those two supports. But I also feel that we may think of providing new services versions for GDAL 2.1 support in another directory to keep the compatibility with OTB and SAGA-GIS for some times. Note that I remember during the OTB HackFest in Toulouse that they were speaking about the GDAL 2 support as a next step so it should probably arrive soon. Nevertheless, it is important to keep this two new supports as they offer a lot of services available.

Thanks a lot again for this informations and be sure that we will use it in a near future and provide services based on this new version.

Best regards,