[Zoo-discuss] Mapmint version 2 ?

Fenoy Gerald gerald.fenoy at geolabs.fr
Mon Oct 26 11:58:30 PDT 2015

Hello Karsten,
MapMint 2 is here, it is almost the same on the services side but the User Interface was totally re-thinked / re-developped.

Nevertheless, when you install MapMint version 2 you still have the capability to access the previous user interfaces. Indeed as said in introduction, there is still the old interface available and the UI for MapMint version 2 is the only thing changing. When you accessed previously the Dashboard link, you now have to use Dashboard_bs . In fact it was a trick for us to implement the new version but not removing the old interface wi-hich is used already in production by some clients which still rely on this version 1 of MapMint.

To be totally frank, I feel that it may stay like this for long time as it won’t really hurt anyone to have 2 UI to interact with the same services (or almost the same for some specific cases).

In MapMint 2 many things where reviewed and optimized for performance and minimizing the data to transfert from the client to the server and in the other order also. A simple example but probably the more easy to see is the Styler, when you opened the Styler window previously you was in fact invoking a service which was responsible for producing the HTML form required to display your classes. Now, in version 2 everything is in JSON and once you load the Styler panel (in fact at the same time you may load more than one style if you are using timeline styles and even more, you now load the properties, the templates for click and hover and also the scales definitions all the at once) then the JSON is downloaded, if you update a class definition then only this class part will be returned as JSON and the JSON object on the client side will be updated. Many other things was rethink for a better performance at the whole.

Another thing is that rather than using some specific code to interact with the WPS server which is still the angular stone of the product we are using the ZOO-Client which make the code a little bit lower in size. Note that there are still some work to do on optimizing the size of the Javascript files. I tried my best some months ago to use the build system to be used with require.js but not yet with any success. Still it is really more efficient than ever before.

I hope this help and provide some light on the darkness around the product which is MapMint :)

Best regards