[ZOO-PSC] Japan got big damage

nicolas bozon nicolas.bozon at gmail.com
Sat Mar 12 04:02:45 PST 2011

Hayashi-san,

 after seeing the pictures and videos of the nuclear puff, i confirm that
drift-x could be used to simulate the puff movment (i origannly thought that
is the smoke source was higer). It would be simulation only, with its sets
of errors and assumption (no chemistry in the model, no density nor
radiocativity, only cloud movements)

We can imagine a quick demo showing simulation of the Fukushima cloud, using
Drift-X ZOO Service, OpenLayers and appropriate data. It could be a very
interesting joint response from ZOO Project and OSGeo.jp to the earthquake.

Gerald and I are interested to achieve such a demo quickly, and we need to
do the following:

- Access real-time wind data from neareast as possible to the power plant (
or wind data from Fukushima province), we need only a few points, 10
measurments points not to far from the nuke plant would be perfect. Is there
any server we could access to get such data ?

- Get the GTOPO30 dem from the area and reproject it into a metric system
(meters values are needed by drift-x)

- Modify the drift-x WPS chaining in order to run the model automatically,
as soon as we get a new up to date wind measurment (evry hours? minutes ?)

- Animate the simulated clouds within an OpenLayers Map (i'm startng to set
u p a simple map now)

Please tell us ASAP if we can access to some useful wind data somewhere.

Best,

Nick