[ZOO-PSC] Request to stop sending mailing list reminders

Daniel Kastl daniel at georepublic.de
Thu Jan 31 22:26:06 PST 2013

Hi Jeff,

This is a very good proposal. Like Arnulf said, you receive so many of
them, that you don't actually see anymore that the password is written
inside.
I think these mailman reminders have only one convenient aspect: you know
that one month has passed again and you can follow the time zones ;-)

Daniel

On Fri, Feb 1, 2013 at 5:12 AM, Jeff McKenna
<jmckenna at gatewaygeomatics.com>wrote:

> Hello monkeys!
>
> (this message is not ZOO-specific but it does apply to many of us monkeys)
>
> I just now received the monthly mailing list reminders from
> gisws1.media.osaka-cu.ac.jp and gisws.media.osaka-cu.ac.jp  What is
> startling to me is to see my personal password sent to me in plain text
> each month from these OCU servers.
>
> Note that the OSGeo-SAC committee just recently dealt with this, by
> universally disabling these monthly reminders from Mailman.  (see the
> full discussion at
>
> http://osgeo-org.1560.n6.nabble.com/Fwd-passwords-being-sent-in-clear-text-td5020097.html
> )
>
> Can we disable these monthly updates for these mailman services?  (as
> that thread states, mailman is supposed to be someday switching to
> hashed passwords, but, until then we should disable)
>
> Thanks!
>
> -jeff
>
> For the record I received mailing list reminders for:
> - openlbs-discuss
> - zoo-monkeys
> - jst2010
> - uchu-osaka