[ZOO-PSC] Proposal to move the workshop materials to GitHub

Fenoy Gerald gerald.fenoy at geolabs.fr
Thu Aug 17 06:48:27 PDT 2017

Dear ZOO PSC,
I come to you today to start a discussion that I should have started earlier about moving the workshop material on GitHub.

I hope this can lead us to take a decision then to perform the migration.

So, you may have noticed that I did not commit any workshop material since 2015 and the web site is saying that the workshop material for the 2015 is coming soon for some years now, we have the material ready but I don’t want to add more images in trunk and make the svn checkout even longer that it is already. Indeed, the issue with the current structure of our SVN is that everything is located in the trunk. Nevertheless, it implies that when you download the ZOO-Project source it takes lot of time cause you have also to download the workshop materials of the previous year, it takes long time because the workshop material contains many screen captures that are heavy. So ok we may also consider to minimize the size of the image or something like this but I think it will be a waste of our precious time.

In addition to that, you may have noticed that we have some GitHub account for storing the ZOO-Project presentations. One obvious advantage from my point view, till GutHub exists, is that it let us publish the HTML pages as accessible content by using the gh-pages branches.

You may also have noticed that we have also committed the MapMint documentation and workshops also on GitHub, for the workshop we did not setup any publication yet but still for the MapMint user guide we did, it can be accessed from here: [1].  On this specific case, one interesting thing is also that we provide support for translating the documentation from French (the original language for the MapMint documentation) into english [2]. Not everything has been translated and the translation may contains some mistake in it (mainly syntaxe issue) still it may be of interest to have the ZOO-Project workshop translated in other language if it may help anyone.

I don’t want to make motion yet cause I think that we should mainly remove the workshop material only because of the images that are changing every year but don’t give anything more that they give in the previous year it is just screenshot presenting the final result of the WPS Services implementation. The documentation is not that huge to be downloaded, but we may probably also consider moving the documentation to GitHub also. But for this one, I am not very sure.

I already know that you will give me relevant feedback. I hope you will take the time to consider this question and we can discuss this matter. If we can arrive to a conclusion then we can take the appropriate actions to make the move.

Best regards,

[1] http://mapmint.github.io/userguide-fr//index.html
[2] http://mapmint.github.io/userguide-fr/en/index.html

Gérald Fenoy