[ZOO-PSC] PSC Chair is no more an OGC membership

Fenoy Gerald gerald.fenoy at geolabs.fr
Mon Oct 16 06:07:54 PDT 2017

Dear ZOO-PSC,
I was informed today about the fact that, despite the fact that I take part to as much as possible TC meeting talking about the WPS standard that we try, for some years now, to implement and promote with our ZOO-Project software, I am not more in position to apply for a free OGC slot.

For the people that have the luck to have access to the archive of the WPS-2.0 SWG [1], you may have noticed that some discussions was initiated by me this year about limitations in the WPS 2.0 specification and more precisely the schema provided that is not conform to the standard it defines. It started in december last year and was still in discussion during the last TC meeting of the WPS-2.0 SWG to which I have participated remotely as most of the TC meeting. Even if I don’t talk much during those meeting, I listen carefully and I was able to follow any news about the WPS.

So, thanks to this OGC slot provided by OSGeo we were able to be inline with the standard and to helming making the standard better (not to just say correct) but it sounds this is not enough to deserve an OGC slot. So, I thought I have to inform you that first I am no more an OGC member, I hope that some of the WPS-2.0 SWG are in this list, this way I am sure that no question on the modifications I have asked and discussed on the OGC list, and also would like to let you know that if OSGeo helped the project to be involved in OGC for being able to follow its evolution in the past but it is, unfortunately not the case anymore. So, I guess we have to stop thinking that we can still be the most advanced WPS implementation as we won’t be aware of the new standard before it comes out.

So I publicly thanks OSGeo for helping us in the past and I also complain against OSGeo, which in front of our effort and the obvious success of our implication,  give me this simple email informing me that, if I want to continue to be part of OGC, I have to find a company to pay for the registration fees.

Sincerly,

From a very very sad PSC-Chair