[ZOO-PSC] ZOO-Project available on Microsoft Azure

Gérald Fenoy gerald.fenoy at geolabs.fr
Wed Dec 8 05:34:14 PST 2021

Dear ZOO-Project community,
I would like to inform you that the ZOO-Project has been accepted by the Microsoft Open Source Team for a 6 months grant of 10k$US Azure credits as part of the Azure credits for open source projects program.

As a first test, I have tried to setup an Azure WebApp instance using the docker-compose.yaml we already got. It is available from here; [1].

The great news is that it works using a slightly modified docker-compose.yaml file which use specific binary Docker images that was build in the same way we build it using docker-composer or docker command line.

The WPS demonstrations seem to be functional. Regarding the OGC API - Processes demonstration it is functional at the exception of the service execution. Actually, I have faced issue when trying to use the websocketd container we have in the original docker-compose.yml file. Looking in the Azure documentation, FAQ and forums I came to the conclusion that we need another container that would be Azure specific for handling the web socket properly.

This is the actual state where I decided not to go deeper and implement a new container specific for Azure. If we have any volunteer in the community or anyone getting something already available that we may slightly modify to use the redis backend traditionally used.

So, currently the web socket is not functional making the use of the HTML UI for executing service almost unusable, except in case you invoke execution of service synchronously. In case anyone can give a hand on this, it would be very helpful.

On the other hand, as discussed during the last PSC meeting, we would like to hear from you about what you would like us / you to experiment using the ZOO-Project on the Microsoft Azure platform.

The first idea that emerged during the PSC meting was that, in addition to the initial demonstrations that we put on Azure already, we may add a demonstration MapMint instance on Azure.

We would be very please to have proposal from you for using the Azure credits for further development and experimentations.

I hope to hear from you.

Best regards,

[1] http://zooprojectdemo.azurewebsites.net <http://zooprojectdemo.azurewebsites.net/>

Gerald Fenoy