[OSGeo Africa] SOLVED RE: Surveyor General Diagram - Mapping property boundary points

Wesley Roberts wesley at biocarbonpartners.com
Tue Oct 7 02:48:06 PDT 2014

Hi All,

I would just like to close this post and mark as complete / solved.

Myself, Gavin and Zoltan discussed the sg diagram off-list and with the
help of both Gavin and Zoltan we managed to find a solution.

1.       The SG diagram in question was not in feet but in meters, I
misread a 3 for a 9 (stupid mistake but it comes with using scanned and
printed documents)

2.       The contstants were added to the XY locations before importing the
data into QGIS

3.       The correct projection to load the data into QGIS was EPSG 22279
Cape / Lo19 (http://epsg.io/22279)

The workflow that worked for me was as follows

1.       Copy the coordinates into a spreadsheet remembering to add the
specified constant to each coordinate (check the constant values carefully
– this can cause major headaches if you don’t get it right)

2.       Import into QGIS using the delimited text file import.

3.       Keep X and Y the same (Don’t swop the axes)

4.       Once the layer has been imported assign the correct projection to
the layer (EPSG 22279)

5.       Assign the project projection to the same EPSG code (22279) – Cape
Lo19

6.       The points should now map to the correct locations

7.       I then re-projected to WGS84

Many thanks to all who offered advice and support, especially Zoltan
Szecsei and Gavin Fleming.

Just to note that there were extensive discussions regarding north and
south orientation of the Lo system and how this is represented / handled by
QGIS. I have avoided mentioning this here as a “ticket” has been opened on
the qgis-dev mailing list.

Regards,

Wesley

[image: Email_Signature]