[OSGeo Africa] Help with Shapefile alignments please

Pieter Malan pieter.malan at mascor.co.za
Thu May 14 22:51:08 PDT 2015

Good day.

I am new user of QGIS 2.8.

I am a AMS manager for John Deere Agents in KZN - South Africa.

I have an issue where I am trying to import field boundaries in a Shapefile
into John Deere desktop software called Apex, in order to put on the
displays of the John Deere machines.

When I open the Shape file in QGIS the properties look like this:

-------------------------------------------------------------------------->

General

Storage type of this layer

ESRI Shapefile

Description of this provider

OGR data provider (compiled against GDAL/OGR library version 1.11.2, running
against GDAL/OGR library version 1.11.2) Source for this layer
C:/Users/Pieter/AMS/Apex folders/Shape files from Kas van der Merwe/bien
donne.shp Geometry type of the features in this layer Polygon The number of
features in this layer

89

Editing capabilities of this layer

Add Features, Delete Features, Change Attribute Values, Add Attributes,
Delete Attributes, Create Spatial Index, Fast Access to Features at ID,
Change Geometries, Simplify Geometries, Simplify Geometries with topological
validation Extents In layer spatial reference system units xMin,yMin
90768.4,-2809416.47 : xMax,yMax 96212.3,-2804284.20 Layer Spatial Reference
System

+proj=tmerc +lat_0=0 +lon_0=31 +k=1 +x_0=0 +y_0=0 +datum=WGS84 +units=m

+no_defs

___

Then when I open a Shapefile that is laid out correctly in Apex it looks
like this:

------------------------->

General

Storage type of this layer

ESRI Shapefile

Description of this provider

OGR data provider (compiled against GDAL/OGR library version 1.11.2, running
against GDAL/OGR library version 1.11.2) Source for this layer
C:/Users/Pieter/AMS/Apex folders/TSB Shape fiels
2013/MWETI/0N45/0N45_poly.shp Geometry type of the features in this layer
Polygon The number of features in this layer

1

Editing capabilities of this layer

Add Features, Delete Features, Change Attribute Values, Add Attributes,
Delete Attributes, Create Spatial Index, Fast Access to Features at ID,
Change Geometries, Simplify Geometries, Simplify Geometries with topological
validation Extents In layer spatial reference system units xMin,yMin
31.9323,-25.475 : xMax,yMax 31.9403,-25.4676 Layer Spatial Reference System

+proj=merc +a=6378137 +b=6378137 +lat_ts=0.0 +lon_0=0.0 +x_0=0.0 +y_0=0

+k=1.0 +units=m +nadgrids=@null +wktext +no_defs

_________

Can anybody help me with a procedure of how I can change the first Shapefile
to have the same extents as the second one, or change the first Shapefile to
the coordinate system or the projection of the second.

I have tried to select the first shapefile and "Save As" and select a
different "CRS" but it still ends up projecting wrong in JD Apex.

I have noticed the co-ordinates on the second shapefile is 30.xxxxx &
-29.xxxxx (or something like that) and the first one is 30xxxxxx & -29xxxxx
(No decimal marker)

Please assist as am about to go crazy here :-)

Thank you kindly.

Regards

Pieter Malan

(AMS Manager)

OFFICE: Head Office

 <http://www.mascor.co.za/> click to view website

Tel: (033) 413 2164

Cel: (076) 481 39 49

Fax-to-email: 086 539 1556

e-mail: <mailto:pieter.malan at mascor.co.za> pieter.malan at mascor.co.za

__________________

Disclaimer and confidentiality note.
Everything in this e-mail and any attachments relating to the official
business of MASCOR

is confidential, legally privileged and protected by law.
MASCOR does not own and endorse any other content.

Views and opinions are those of the sender unless clearly stated as being
that of MASCOR.

The person addressed in the e-mail is the sole authorized recipient. Please
notify the

sender immediately if it has unintentionally reached you and do not read,

disclose or use the content in any way.
MASCOR can not assure that the integrity of this communication has been

maintained nor that it is free of errors, virus, interception or
interference.