[OSGeo Africa] OpenStreetMap ZA hosting CD:NGI's 25cm imagery?

Derrick Wells derricko.wells at gmail.com
Fri Feb 3 00:33:50 PST 2023

Hi Grant, something to maybe consider is, and that is what I do with the
imagery:
1. Convert to ECW format (depending on your storage mechanism);
2. Create half degree tiles rather that the 3 minute tiles - this removes a
lot of the overlap and therefore reducing space requirements.

The last set of orthorectified imagery I got I reworked as above and
reduced the size by in excesses of 65% i.e only required about 35% of the
disk space.

Thanks
Derrick Wells

On Wed, 1 Feb 2023 at 14:51, Grant Slater <openstreetmap at firefishy.com>
wrote:

> Hi OSGeo Africa,
>
> OpenStreetMap South Africa has previously made CD:NGI's fantastic 50cm
> aerial imagery available online. eg:
> http://aerial.openstreetmap.org.za/
>
> We are currently preparing to make the 25cm aerial imagery available
> online. At the moment we are still trying to work out how we'll
> process and store the mammoth 12TB of imagery. If anyone has any large
> server hard disks going spare or access to a large pool of AWS
> credits, we would love to hear from you. ;-)
>
> We are discussing the imagery here, including costs of potentially
> buying large disks:
>
> https://community.openstreetmap.org/t/new-25cm-aerial-photos-available-from-chief-directorate-national-geo-spatial-information-cd-ngi/8452?u=firefishy
>
> PS: It is expected that NGI will likely later provide a full coverage
> 25cm mosaic via the CDNGI Geospatial Portal. We are "duplicating" the
> effort because we want to make the imagery available to the
> OpenStreetMap mapping community ASAP and having the imagery online via
> an independent portal is likely a good idea.
>
> Kind regards,
>
> Grant
> Wearing my OpenStreetMap ZA hat.

Thanks