[OSGeo Africa] What software is currently used in South Africa tertiary institutions

Zoltan Szecsei zoltans at geograph.co.za
Sun Mar 10 23:48:21 PDT 2024

Hi Sindile,
Your comment, now in brown italics below, refers.

People who need to use GIS SW as used by whatever client they have, have
likely been through many different SW products (and clients).
Yes, that likely makes them 'master of none', but it also means that
if/when they understand the problems to be solved, they know what to
look for in the SW that has been "thrust upon them".

My take on your comment below is that perhaps the corporate planners
need to look at the issue differently.

  *   It is FAR more useful to select/hire staff that have long and
    broad, practical experience _in the workings and needs of the
    department_.
    SW is a tool - knowing the SW but not knowing (enough of) the
    problems to solve, is extremely 'not useful'.
    A good, well experienced Geo-spatial professional should have no
    problem finding the resources to implement a solution on any mature
    SW platform.

So my thoughts to aspiring GISc Practitioners is to focus on
understanding how the buttons do what they "say" they do, and not the
"order of the buttons to push" when implementing a solution.

It really is the difference between GIS and GISc

I suppose that what I am trying to say is:

    Wouldn't it be nice if planners and HR staff focused on abilities
    actually needed for a job position and not "years of SW usage stated
    on the CV".

On a related issue, it is all too often that accountants and upper
managers decide on corporate strategy.
These guys typically choose large, long-standing companies to source SW
from - their Linus [not Torvalds🙂] blanket being that the company will
'always' be there to hold to account any problems they (that company)
might be deemed to have caused.
The reality is that these larger companies are sometimes  harder to get
a response from.

So, given that Open Source is perceived to have no one directly
responsible for it, it makes it even more difficult to get the powers
that be to choose it above a large corporate offering.
I live in hope that perceptions will change, but..., well..., not yet.

OK...I'm rambling so will "shut up" now 🙂

Keep well,
Zoltan