[Aust-NZ] Live CDs for the FOSS4G conference and DebianGIS

Brent Wood pcreso at pcreso.com
Thu Apr 17 13:31:09 EDT 2008

--- Hamish <hamish_b at yahoo.com> wrote:

> Hi,
>
> two things I've been meaning to answer but got swamped with other
> things..
>

> 1) Providing a consistent computing experience for conference attendees
> for workshops and training sessions.
>
> At previous FOSS4Gs there was a Live CD prepared (think Knoppix) and
> handed out with all the favourite softwares and sample datasets. Everyone
> sticks one of those in the laptop/provided workstation and all work from
> the same page. Trying to install stuff on everyone's diverse OSs etc
> would take the entire workshop, better to have that all prepackaged and
> the same versions etc.
>
> here are some links:
>   http://grass.osgeo.org/download/cdrom.php
>   http://geomatica.como.polimi.it/software/slaxGIS/index.php

Hi Hamish,

A while back I described how to make a LiveCD with QGIS, & demo'd it at the
Open Source Geospatial Conference in Minneapolis, 2005. The disk included the
full 2001 set of LINZ topo data & the NZMG aerial photography. The HowTo is at

http://qgis.org/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=63&Itemid=58

A bit outdated now, with LiveCD building tools having improved significantly in
the last 3 years. I figure it might be a good idea to rebuild a current version
of this, with at least QGIS & the data again, hopefully with a later vesrion of
the topo data, and perhaps NZ cadastral, local authority boundaries, etc. as
well. I'm not sure what can be done in this area with Australian data, as I
don't know what is available.

Is there anyone here who has access to recent copies of LINZ
topo/cadastral/road centrelines, etc? The LINZ license freely permits
redistribution, & if I'm/we're
quick enough, we might just make it in time to provide a few giveaways for the
May GOVIS mini-conference (but this might be a bit optimistic). Something for
FOSS4G should be more feasible though.

Brent Wood