[Aust-NZ] Live CDs for the FOSS4G conference & licensing

Brent Wood pcreso at pcreso.com
Thu Apr 17 20:16:41 EDT 2008

--- Hamish <hamish_b at yahoo.com> wrote:

> > Brent Wood wrote:
> > > Is there anyone here who has access to recent copies of LINZ
> > > topo/cadastral/road centrelines, etc? The LINZ license freely
> > > permits redistribution,
>
> Robert Coup wrote:
> > Yep, I do. Contact me off-list and we can sort out the details.
>

> maybe a nice thing to put up on geotorrent.org  (seems to be down)
> see also
>   http://wiki.osgeo.org/wiki/Public_Geospatial_Data_Project
>
> also I had thought it would be nice to merge the road_cl layer into the
> OpenStreetMap project, much like was done for the TIGER data in the US
> and data from various European gov'ts.
>
> Do you have a link to the license agreement? In the past LINZ has been
> very accommodating, but it's the sort of thing you want to have their
> explicit support for.

Hi Hamish, et al,

>From their web site (for the NZTOPO Online data), & I have specific emails for
earlier versions:

2.  	Licence
2.1 	Subject to section 4 (Licence fee), the Licensor grants you a personal,
non-exclusive, non-transferrable, royalty-free licence to use, modify, copy,
create compilations or derivative works from, re-supply and otherwise deal with
the Data strictly in accordance with this Agreement.

For more info, see the LINZ BDE (Bulk Data Extract) info at
http://www.linz.govt.nz/core/surveysystem/cadastraldata/index.html
or the PDF at:
http://www.linz.govt.nz/docs/surveysystem/landonline-bulkdata/introduction-to-bulk-data-v16-0.pdf

Steaming way ahead, I guess one project we could look at would be to recreate
an open Landonline database in PostGIS, toss Mapserver/GeoNetwork/OpenLayers at
it...

But I think I'll focus on the more limited horizon of a Live CD with topo data
first :-)

& Back to LINZ data... any organisation which has paid the required fee for the
data to LINZ, is free to re-supply the data to anyone else, but with the
provisos regarding copyright acknowledgement & liability waiver.

The main issue with this has been that many local bodies do not purchase their
data direct from LINZ, but from value added resellers such as Critchlow or
Eagle. These companies add value & have a more restrictive licence for their IP
within such datasets. Sorting out which is LINZ & which isn;t is not a viable
option in these cases.

Cheers,

  Brent