[Geodata] Re: [Aust-NZ] NZ geodata on OSGEO?

mapbutcher mapbutcher at mapbutcher.com
Wed Apr 30 07:37:12 EDT 2008

Hi,

Apologies for being slack in getting back to the list..been moving country,
house, job etc

> If we are to host this data via OSGeo, I would prefer to do so with LINZ's
> blessing, rather than through an interpretation of a license agreement.

>>I have had some previous contact with LINZ re: using LINZ topo in OSM and
would be happy to provide details of this communication offline

> There have been some encouraging actions towards OSGeo and OS spatial
> software from the NZ Government.
>
> Would you like to approach Brendan acting in your position as a Director
> (elect) of OSGeo-AustNZ?

>>I am not 100% whether the NZGeospatial Office  has any control over the
legal distribution of LINZ data - my contacts were within the product and
legal teams

> If not, I'm happy to do so.
>

> Bruce Bannerman
>

> geodata-bounces at lists.osgeo.org wrote on 28/04/2008 06:21:47 PM:
>

> > To summarise the situation regarding this:
> >
> > I have an offer to supply NZTopo, cadastral including road_cl but
> without
> > survey marks & some StatsNZ boundaries.
> >
> > Some other datasets such as EEZ, Territorial Sea, etc are probably
> available.
> > The LINZ geotiff orthos' are available.
> >
> > I have an OSGEO related offer to host the vector data, provided the
> licences
> > meet with OSGEO approval. I'm not sure at this stage if this will
> include a
> > PostGIS/mapserver/OpenLayers based website to demo teh data & the
> > applications,
> > but figure we can work through these questions once (if) we have an
> OSGEO
> > acceptance of the licences.
> >
> > There are a few questions still before we can really progress this:

There may also be interest from Harley Prowse and his team at GBS in
Auckland reg: hosting an OpenSoirce stack providing kiwi data - contact me
offline for Harley's details