[Aust-NZ] Re: [GeoNetwork-devel] Merging new developments into core (was: Finding a way forward)

Simon Pigot sppigot at utas.edu.au
Tue May 20 09:52:50 EDT 2008

Jeroen Ticheler wrote:
> Hi Simon and others,
> I'm reading through the interesting archived discussions you have on
> the aus-nz list (only just subscribed).
>> Up until last month we've fed a lot of the code from the MEST back
>> into the trunk but there is a need to write proposals and get them
>> approved by the community before some of the later changes can be
>> committed. Community approval is a good thing but it takes time to
>> get this together and slot things in to the trunk - that time lag
>> would be a problem for anyone (not just BlueNet) - especially when
>> the priority for us has been features we need.
>

 > I'm getting quite concerned when I read this, as I feel that putting
such procedures in place should have minimum effect on the normal
development process.
 > What it should do is start some discussion where needed and help to
ensure that not just anything will get into core. Proposals do not have
to be endlessly long
 > either.
 > We need to find a good way of dealing with this, since delaying to
add new developments to core may in the end be the cause of a fork if
your developments
 > deviated to much from trunk. Add to that the fact that you have moved
on to new stuff, it becomes even more likely we'll never see the change
merged back.
 >  :-(

They will - we've just been busy since the 2.2 release working on
features/fixes for BlueNet workshops :-). As a protection against not
merging changes back I've made myself post messages to the developers
group giving an overview of what we've been doing at various times.
Those emails were/are placeholders for future proposals.

I think the point of the previous messages in these exchanges (leaving
aside the mildly annoying statements like lack of progress :-)) has been
about forging a more effective community to drive GeoNetwork development
- a first step for that in AU/NZ is to make the BlueNet MEST (with its
embedded AU/NZ specific profiles) available via an svn which leads to....

 > At this point I want to have some discussion on the GeoNetwork
developer list to find a good working solution. The most obvious one for
me is to have
 > sandboxes set up for those that develop new functions. This will
allow a developer to just do his work as normal, but has the big
advantage that others can see
 > what's happening and can be informed on forehand. So when time comes
to merge new code to trunk, we already had a chance to see the code
(through
 > commit mailing list for instance) and the process of a proposal and
voting would be slimmed down a lot.

.....your suggestion of sandboxes as one way of dealing with this - its
a good idea and I've replied to that in a later email on this in which
Roald gave some details about sandboxes elsewhere and asked specific
questions about BlueNet.

Cheers,
Simon