Fw: [Aust-NZ] Finding a way forward - GeoNetwork as platform to support ANZLIC Profile of ISO 19115/19139

Bruce.Bannerman at dpi.vic.gov.au Bruce.Bannerman at dpi.vic.gov.au
Tue May 20 19:55:35 EDT 2008

IMO:

Thanks for the comments Rob,

(Can all people please ensure that the OSGeo-AustNZ list is included in
replies, I'd like to keep the list as the archive record for this thread?)

Agreed, a branch is not ideal for the medium to long term.

Ideally from these discussions we'll get the momentum to establish the
mechanism whereby metadata profiles can be configured as 'plugins' to the
stable GeoNetwork version that is current at that point in time.

Until this occurs, we have to find a better way of collaborating to
ensuring a consistent, quality approach. What we are doing now is not
working and resulting in duplicated effort. Therefore, I'd like to see all
proposals explored and a preferred way forward agreed on.

wrt 'Reference Architecture', I can't speak for others, however:

- I don't think that this is a space that OSGeo would want to get into.

- I wouldn't want to be prescriptive on what the projects can and can't
do. We are talking about projects that thrive on innovation.

- I think that this is a role that is more appropriately handled by the
OGC, in this instance with the CSW standard. As I understand it,
GeoNetwork already supports CSW (excluding support for ebRIM
functionality).

Jeroen may wish to comment further on the GeoNetwork communities thoughts
and intentions here.

Bruce Bannerman

"Rob Atkinson" <robatkinson101 at gmail.com>
21/05/2008 09:14 AM

Bruce.Bannerman at dpi.vic.gov.au
cc
ozmeta-l at erin.gov.au, asdi-l at lists.anzlic.org.au, info at osdm.gov.au
Subject
Re: Fw: [Aust-NZ] Finding a way forward - GeoNetwork as platform to
support ANZLIC Profile of ISO 19115/19139

We should not be looking at a branch - there is nothing wierd about the
ANZLIC profile.

Geonetwork needs to be capable of being configured with a profile of a
baseline standard it supports (ISO 19115 in this case) - this is _THE_
basic metadata implementation pattern. Putting the key piece of core
configuration capability required onto a branch is rather non-sensical.

in fact, all tiers of an OS SDI reference implementatiuon (tools and
architecture) need to follow the pattern - this is the goal of the SISS
project.

FYI. I'm currently drawing up some architecture ideas for this, on behalf
of the SISS project. This is a somewhat slow process as I have a day a
week assigned to this and i'm doing a little geoserver effort support at
the same time.

The broader challenge of how we effectively share architectural patterns
is also a concern - we design by starting from scratch, or "clone and
modify" from existing designs, and wonder why we have difficulty joining
the bits back together once built. Is there a role for a "reference
architecture" for OSGEO?

Regards
Rob Atkinson