[Aust-NZ] Performance Measures [ was... Initial Proposal - [was Finding a way forward - GeoNetwork ... ANZLIC Profile]

Bruce.Bannerman at dpi.vic.gov.au Bruce.Bannerman at dpi.vic.gov.au
Mon May 26 23:52:23 EDT 2008

IMO:

Hamish,

I see this particular aspect applying to permanent employees of public and
larger private organisations (though particular aspects could also
possibly be applied to support contracts).

We need to find meaningful measures that Managers or Employees can take
into the Performance Planning sessions to discuss the need to undertake
GeoNetwork work. It is a two-way process and can be initiated by either
party.

We could look at measures such as ... "Get feature X accepted into the
trunk of GeoNetwork by June 2009", however this is probably unrealistic as
to do this the developer will have to have existing credibility within the
community and there may be good reasons why the community does not want to
have 'product X' included.

Any thoughts on measures are appreciated.

Bruce Bannerman

Hamish <hamish_b at yahoo.com>
27/05/2008 01:09 PM
Please respond to
hamish_b at yahoo.com

Aust-NZ OSGeo <Aust-NZ at lists.osgeo.org>, Bruce.Bannerman at dpi.vic.gov.au
cc

Subject
Re: [Aust-NZ] Initial Proposal - [was Finding a way forward - GeoNetwork
... ANZLIC Profile]

Bruce wrote:
> However, in the public sector and also in many larger private
> organisations there is a Human Resources process in place that
> are based on Performance Management.
> As to specific metrics that can be used, I'm open to
> suggestions. They must be specific, meaningful and measurable.

there is nothing too wrong with outcome based funding, they want to know
thier money is well spent even if they are not an expert in the field. but
I think it is wise to avoid metrics which micro-manage and focus on
deliverable results instead.

e.g. assesment by number of lines of code committed per day or number of
commits is very useless. I can commit each time I save the file or wait
and do one big commit when I have finished the module I am working on; SVN
likes big atomic commits, while I assume a CMS like git likes many smaller
ones, more often. If I want more lines of code I can adjust indent rules
or write less efficient C ...

better is to have contracts that say "we will pay you X dollars to
impliment Y feature in a functional and usable way, and require you to
submit it to upstream with documentation and examples and assist with any
merge issues that arise therein." rather than get hung up on the details
of lines of code or commits.

2c
Hamish

Notice: