[Aust-NZ] Re: Help write Spatial@Gov keynote speach [SEC=UNCLASSIFIED]

Ben.Searle at ga.gov.au Ben.Searle at ga.gov.au
Fri Jun 12 06:24:31 EDT 2009

Classification: UNCLASSIFIED

Cameron

Those areas sound good. An important message is that metadata should be used to describe both data and web based services. The move by governments in to the Web2.0 space is dependent on metadata.

Likewise, the ANZLIC concept of the Spatial Marketplace can only work with metadata covering both data and services. Machine to machine interactions in the Web2.0 world will rely on metadata.

Finally, in terms of the Australian Government, the ANZMet Lite tool we have developed for ANZLIC has a development plan where we include capabilities to integrate AGLS with the ISO spatial standard. We need to ensure that standards are complied with. We have a situation in the emergency management space where an un named department is merging two metadata standards to create a 'new' standard. This will be Australian only 'standard' that will not be supported by any software vendor.

A strong coordination and compliance directive from the Aust Govt is required and perhaps the Senator may wish to comment on the need for a strong leading agency.

I hope this helps and I would be keen to talk to Pia at more length on this and related issues.

Regards

This email has been sent from a BlackBerry device provided by Geoscience Australia.