[Aust-NZ] How Does Satellite Imagery Compare with Aerial Photography?

John Smith deltafoxtrot256 at gmail.com
Tue Apr 6 05:12:32 EDT 2010

On 6 April 2010 18:50, Ross Charles Johnson <rossgo at hotmail.com> wrote:

> A comparison of satellite imagery with aerial photogrammetry today must take
> into account advances in both approaches to the production of useful
> landscape and earth observation data today. Whereas most debate previously
> surrounded issues related to resolution and accuracy, the costs of
> purchasing satellite imagery have dropped substantially and satellites
> revisit the same location weekly or daily in some cases.

While there has been technical improvements, the US government has
resolution limitations on sat imagery provided commercially of 50cm
per pixel although GeoEye-1 has claims about the highest sat imagery
available at 41cm but only US govt agencies can access that.

Based on what I've seen from Nearmap, I haven't seen any restrictions
on the resolution of aerial photography in Australia and they've
produced 7.5cm for most areas of coverage and down to 3cm in select
areas.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/GeoEye-1#Specifications_and_operation