[Aust-NZ] How Does Satellite Imagery Compare with Aerial Photography? [SEC=UNCLASSIFIED]

Bruce Bannerman B.Bannerman at bom.gov.au
Tue Apr 6 07:13:58 EDT 2010

Resolution is only part of the story.

A major advantage that you have with typical remotely sensed imagery such as satellite imagery is that the sensor used often captures many spectral bands of data.

This allows for many options to digitally analyse the imagery pixel by pixel using a wide range of techniques. This can be used for a wide range of uses: e.g. masking out areas of water; finding vegetation that is subject to infestation by a particular 'bug'; measuring the 'green-ness' of vegetation; finding all areas on an image that have a similar spectral response to a particular 'training area'; etc.

With aerial photography, you are typically restricted to just three spectral bands (red, green and blue), though near infra red is sometimes used to check vegetation health.

Bruce