[Aust-NZ] Australia and New Zealand Available WMS and WFS Services

Hamish hamish_b at yahoo.com
Sun Aug 15 18:47:02 EDT 2010

Noli Sicad wrote:
> I am looking for WMS and WFS services to see the
> capabilities of QGIS in this area. Do you know if any
> Australia and New Zealand available WMS and WFS
> services that is open to the public to browse
> and use?

the Geosciences Australia OGC Web Map server might be of
interest:
 http://www.ga.gov.au/wms/getmap?dataset=national&request=getCapabilities

? (I don't know much more about it beyond the url)

> Any plans in pipeline for Australia and New Zealand WMS
> and WFS services?

the NZopenGPS is currently working at getting the full
LINZ topo dataset into OpenStreetMaps. (So far only the
Chatham Islands trial is 98% complete) Once that is done
I'd like to look at setting it up as a Free WMS(Mapnik or
Osmarender styles)/WFS as exists for some parts of Europe.
http://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/LINZ

I believe that for NZ the server loads will probably be
low enough to be manageable. Due to expensive bandwidth
it would probably have to be limited to NZ only.

(yes, LINZ->postgis->osm->postgis->wms is a long chain,
but hopefully not too lossy)

regards,
Hamish