[Aust-NZ] OSM Licensing - [was Fwd: RE: Aust-NZ Digest, Vol 36, Issue 8] [SEC=UNCLASSIFIED]

Simon Cropper scropper at botanicusaustralia.com.au
Sun Sep 5 21:13:32 EDT 2010

On Monday 06 September 2010 10:12:01 am Bruce Bannerman wrote:
> Working in the Public sector, I know how long it has taken for people to
> start to understand and accept CC licenses.

Hi John,

I agree with Bruce. I have taken over 8 months to have even a small amount of
data released under CC-BY-SA by the Victorian Government for use with my
tutorials.

I spent a good portion of this morning reading the arguments regarding Open
Database Access but could not find a web page with a clear description of the
protocol and text that could be pointed to or used when releasing data.

CC licensing is now well recognised by government agencies and the available
documentation makes it easy for creators and users to understand what a
particular license allows.

Without comparable stable and accepted documentation, it will be very hard to
get data providers to release their data for whatever reason.

--
Cheers Simon

	Simon Cropper
	Botanicus Australia Pty Ltd