[Aust-NZ] OSM Licensing - [was Fwd: RE: Aust-NZ Digest, Vol 36, Issue 8] [SEC=UNCLASSIFIED]

Robert Coup robert.coup at koordinates.com
Sun Sep 5 21:38:38 EDT 2010

Hi Simon,

On Mon, Sep 6, 2010 at 1:13 PM, Simon Cropper <
scropper at botanicusaustralia.com.au> wrote:

> Without comparable stable and accepted documentation, it will be very hard
> get data providers to release their data for whatever reason.

Nobody is arguing with that. It's just that CC licenses and particularly
CC-BY-SA don't mean what's "on the cover" with respect to datasets. Creative
Commons themselves say they shouldn't be used.

The OSM Foundation is basically saying that "sticking our collective heads
in the sand and pretending it isn't a problem" is not acceptable going
forward. Sure, that raises huge barriers - but better to start now than
trying to do it 3 years further down the track.

The massive uptake of CC is (imho) hugely in the simple, clear,
well-presented nature of the licenses. All licenses (open/closed/whatever)
should strive to get to where CC is with that.

Rob :)