[Aust-NZ] FOSS4G-ANZ?

Alex Leith alexgleith at gmail.com
Tue Nov 21 03:50:39 PST 2017

Hi Daniel and others

I think that sounds like a good plan, alternating between NZ and AU.

Responding to Jeff, it's fantastic to know that OSGeo is supportive. And my
earlier comments around 'organisation' really are around how we can have an
account and seed funding to start from. I think doing that through an
existing organisation sounds way better than creating an entity.

Regarding John's steps, I think this is just about right. Somewhere in
there needs to be the organising of a relationship with a body that can
handle the money, though. Once we've got a bit of a prospectus, I can talk
to SSSI, potentially. Are there other organisations may be interested?

And again, I agree with John, so let's try to arrange some kind of video
meeting soon. I suggest the week after next, so 5 or 6 of Dec.

Regards,

Alex

On Tue, 21 Nov 2017 at 22:18 dwsilk <dsilk at linz.govt.nz> wrote:

> Hi all
>
> For those that don't know me, I work at Land Information New Zealand and
> attended the QGIS Au meetup on Friday.
>
> On 21 November 2017 at 23:21, John Bryant <[hidden email]> wrote:
> >
> > I see the first steps, roughly, as:
> >
> > -form a committee & determine 'rules of engagement' (how do we work
> > together as a group?)
>
> ..and as an extension of this, how do we work together as two countries?
>
> One idea that I raised with John when we discussed this was:
> - sharing membership of an organising committee between Au/NZ
> - alternating FOSS4G events between the two countries each year
> - heavy lifting is taken on by the committee members from the host country
>
> As a bit of background, TechnologyOne has organised a QGIS user conference
> in New Zealand for the last few years. That conference already consisted of
> 2 or 3 days of workshops + two days of conference (one day on QGIS, one day
> on Intramaps) and I'm guessing attracts around 100 attendees.
>
> There is certainly interest here in expanding this to a FOSS4G event and
> I'm
> keen to continue to be part of the discussion and work toward making that
> happen.
>
> On 21 November 2017 at 01:49, Jeff McKenna <[hidden email]> wrote:
> >
> > - I think the future model of FOSS4G events can be seen in the recent
> > FOSS4G-SotM-AR http://www.foss4g-ar.org/ (Argentina).
>
> That event looks great Jeff, and the additional guidance will be valuable.
>
> Cheers
> Daniel
>

> --
> Sent from: