[Aust-NZ] FOSS4G-ANZ?

dwsilk dsilk at linz.govt.nz
Tue Nov 21 03:18:19 PST 2017

Hi all

For those that don't know me, I work at Land Information New Zealand and
attended the QGIS Au meetup on Friday.

On 21 November 2017 at 23:21, John Bryant <[hidden email]> wrote:

> I see the first steps, roughly, as:
>
> -form a committee & determine 'rules of engagement' (how do we work
> together as a group?)

..and as an extension of this, how do we work together as two countries?

One idea that I raised with John when we discussed this was:
- sharing membership of an organising committee between Au/NZ
- alternating FOSS4G events between the two countries each year
- heavy lifting is taken on by the committee members from the host country

As a bit of background, TechnologyOne has organised a QGIS user conference
in New Zealand for the last few years. That conference already consisted of
2 or 3 days of workshops + two days of conference (one day on QGIS, one day
on Intramaps) and I'm guessing attracts around 100 attendees.

There is certainly interest here in expanding this to a FOSS4G event and I'm
keen to continue to be part of the discussion and work toward making that
happen.

On 21 November 2017 at 01:49, Jeff McKenna <[hidden email]> wrote:

> - I think the future model of FOSS4G events can be seen in the recent
> FOSS4G-SotM-AR http://www.foss4g-ar.org/ (Argentina).

That event looks great Jeff, and the additional guidance will be valuable.

Cheers
Daniel

--
Sent from: http://osgeo-org.1560.x6.nabble.com/OSGeo-Australia-New-Zealand-Local-Chapter-f3721347.html