[Aust-NZ] FOSS4G-ANZ?

John Bryant johnwbryant at gmail.com
Tue Nov 21 02:21:23 PST 2017

Hi everyone, looks like we have to do it now ;)

Lots of good questions and discussions here re: timing, size, costs,
organisational requirements, and tie-ins. Very nice to know OSGeo has our
back. Definitely more conversations to be had around all this!

My impression: there's enough interest here already to get started.

I see the first steps, roughly, as:

-form a committee & determine 'rules of engagement' (how do we work
together as a group?)
-broadly scope the event, determine key details (what is it? when is it?)
-nominate and save the date
-plot out a schedule for the planning process
-identify, and begin engaging with, key stakeholders
-begin spreading the word!

I'm not especially experienced in event organising, so could very well be
I'm missing some key pieces here. Also a little unsure about process; the
transparency of a mailing list is great, but might it make sense to use
scheduled committee meetings (over IRC/Slack/Google Hangouts/Skype?) to
discuss points like these?

In the interest of taking this bit of momentum and carrying it forward, I
propose we get moving as soon as possible... from what I hear about
conference planning, time goes by too quickly! Would be nice to have the
above under control by year's end.

Onwards!

John