[Aust-NZ] FOSS4G-ANZ?

Jeff McKenna jmckenna at gatewaygeomatics.com
Tue Nov 28 07:13:45 PST 2017

On 2017-11-27 6:31 PM, John Bryant wrote:

> Re: comms channels, this feels a bit tricky. We've already started a
> conversation off-list, but feels like there is value in the additional
> transparency of this public list. I've noticed a couple of glitches
> though (some emails not coming through in a timely fashion). But I'm in
> favour of holding group conversations in the open by default. I propose
> we hold conversations in the existing list for now unless it becomes a
> problem.

Hi John,

The recent FOSS4G-2016 Bonn committee really raised the bar for open
communication, using the public mailing list for all communication,
where anyone can join and contribute, and all of their meetings were
done on IRC chat in the #foss4g channel (which doesn't require an
account, and anyone can join the meeting through their web browser, and
has the added benefit of online meeting logs).  It was fascinating to
see that in action, and how that openness produced a great event.

Sometimes there are fiscal issues etc. that might not be good to share
on a public/archived list, and in that case I usually setup a
"foss4g-private" mailing list for local committees to use, which has no
archives and is not listed or searchable anywhere.  So in this case, the
mailing list might be named "foss4g-anz-private", I could set that up
and make you and others admins, and you can manually add in the
addresses of who you need on the private list.

Some good options for you to keep in mind as you travel down this path :)

-jeff